CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sep 26, 2008

Tomato Pie
When I took an Apples of Gold class in Savannah, I learned how to make tomato pie. It sounded a little "iffy" at the time, but I instantly fell madly in love. It is designed as a southern side dish, but in our house, it is a main course!!! Here is the recipe...

Key players:
tomatoes, onion (the original recipe calls for green onions, but I prefer a red onion), fresh basil, salt and pepper, and mayo (since I am not a huge mayo fan I split the mayo with sour cream and sometimes plain yogart- even though I loved the original).

Peel your tomatoes. This is easiest if you drop each tomato into boiling water for about 20 sec, and the skin almost falls off. Slice and layer the tomatoes in a deep dish pie crust. Sprinkle with salt, fresh ground pepper, chopped basil, and diced onion. Continue to layer until your pie crust is full.
This can take anywhere from four to six tomatoes. Isn't that pretty?
Just a warning: It will look nasty again before we cook it. sorry- it is still tasty!

Then mix 1 cup of mayo (or half cup mayo, half cup sour cream OR one third cup mayo, one third cup sour cream, and one third cup plain yogart- the options are endless) with 1 - 2 cups of grated cheddar (sharp is best).

Stir together and then "ice" your pie with the creamy mixture. The cheese and mayo mixture seeps down into the layers as it cooks. I told you it would look gross. Keep pressing on. It is so worth it!!!!!!

Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove and enjoy!!!

This is what your husband's plate will look like after he eats it. Can you see the swirls from where he rubbed his biscuit all over the plate to get the last little bit?
Now I would love to hear about one of your favorite things...




2 comments that bring me joy:

Anonymous said...

This truly is one of my favorite things. I could eat it every day!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a gorgeous recipe. I plan on making this. And I just sent the link to a friend with a fully producing tomato bush!!